Publications and Biography
Two portraits of Ursula Bethell by Toss Woollaston, courtesy of Toss Woollaston Trust
Photographs from the Ursula Bethell Collection at the University of Canterbury Macmillan Brown Library
‘Sun went behind a cloud Jan 24th, 6pm’ : 14 paintings by Ursula Bethell
Curated and introduced by Bronwyn Lloyd from archives at the Macmillan Brown Library
Text from Ursula Bethell: Collected Poems, 2nd ed. edited by Vincent O’Sullivan (Victoria UP, 1997) except where otherwise stated. The author’s estate and nzepc gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of Victoria University Press.
Note on the Text
From a Garden in the Antipodes (Sidgwick & Jackson, 1929)
From Time and Place (Caxton, 1936)
From Day and Night (Caxton, 1939)
From Collected Poems (Caxton, 1950)
From ‘By the River Ashley’
Prose by Ursula Bethell
About Ursula Bethell
- Rosemary Brewer, Mary Ursula Bethell: her women friends.
- Rosemary Brewer, Michele Leggott and Bronwyn Lloyd, Looking for the Dottoressa: Dr Helen Macdonald Simpson 1890-1960 (nzepc)
- Janet Charman, My Ursula Bethell (nzepc/Women’s Studies Journal 14.2)
- Graham Lindsay, A Note about Kakemono (nzepc)
- Alison Mary, A poet's garden.
(nzepc/New Zealand Historic Places 40)
- Vincent O’Sullivan, Introduction to Ursula Bethell: Collected Poems, 2 nd ed. (nzepc/VUP)
- Helen M. Simpson, Note to Mary Ursula Bethell: Collected Poems 1950 (nzepc/Caxton)
- Gregory Treadwell, A Painter's Eye: The Poems of Ursula Bethell (nzepc)
- Jill Trevelyan, ‘Perfectly fairy-godmotherish': the friendship of Toss Woollaston and Ursula Bethell. (nzepc/Kotare 4.1)